How to Configure Email Routing in cPanel
Email hosting allows users to operate their email servers using their domain name. With cPanel’s email hosting service, users can send and manage emails through webmail and email clients via SMTP/POP/IMAP connection protocols. cPanel offers various features such as creating email addresses, configuring mail clients, forwarding mails, changing passwords, and direct access to webmail.
cPanel manages its own mail server, while Email Routing allows clients to route incoming domain mail to a specific server. Any changes made in cPanel will be automatically reflected in the domain’s DNS entries, providing a backup server for mail in case the primary server goes down.
The Email hosting service offers clients a professional appearance for their business by creating an email server using their domain name. This service includes spam and virus protection to filter unwanted emails from the inbox. Digital signature technology is used to eliminate known spam signatures.
Key features included in Email management service in cPanel include:
- Email Accounts: This option allows users to create or delete email addresses and manage email accounts.
- Email Forwarder: Users can forward emails from different accounts to a single account or a different domain using this feature.
- Autoresponders: Users can configure an email to automatically reply to all received emails.
- Email Routing: This feature helps users route all their emails to a specific server, creating a backup server for their domain mail.
- TrackDelivery: Users can analyze the spam score of their emails and check the email delivery path to identify any delivery issues.
- Email Filters: This interface allows users to block unwanted emails based on set rules.
- Address Importer: Users can create multiple email addresses or forwarders using the cPanel address importer feature. It supports importing data in .xls or .csv format.
- Encryption: cPanel uses cryptographic algorithms to encrypt or decrypt messages. Users can create or import GnuPG keys using the encryption interface.
- Global Email Filters: The global email filters interface allows users to configure how the server filters all emails received by their domain’s email account.
- Email Disk Usage: This feature enables users to view their disk usage, mailbox items, and remove old or large messages.
Configuration Steps for Email Routing in cPanel:
1) Log in to cPanel and navigate to the “Mail” section.
2) Click on the “Email Routing” icon to access the page.
3) On the Email Routing page, you will receive a warning. If you are unsure about the options to select, it is recommended to contact the system administrator.
4) After the warning, you will see a note that provides a link to the Zone editor. If you intend to change the mail server information (MX Records), you should use the Zone editor for those modifications.
5) Select the desired domain from the menu. If only one domain exists in your cPanel account, it will be automatically selected.
6) After selecting the domain details, you can configure Email Routing using one of the four options below:
Automatically Detect Configuration: The system detects the configuration based on the priorities of your MX records (Local, Backup, or Remote Mail Exchanger).
Local Mail Exchanger: This option allows the server to receive email even if there is a higher priority MX entry. Emails will be sent to both the local and server mailbox.
Backup Mail Exchanger: The server acts as a backup exchanger. If the primary mail exchanger is down, the server will hold all emails until the primary mail exchanger is back online.
Remote Mail Exchanger: The server will not accept mail for this domain. All mail for this domain will be sent to the lowest numbered mail exchanger.
7) Once you have selected the desired option, click the Change button to apply the changes.
This is how you can configure Email routing in cPanel. It is a useful feature, but it requires some understanding to fully comprehend its functionality. If you encounter any difficulties during the process, please let us know in the comments section below. If you are using WebHostingPeople hosting, please contact our support department for quick assistance!